Monday, June 18, 2018

Stuffy Nose

Family so dear,

Happy Father's Day Dad!!  And to all of the other fathers out there as well, even to those who are soon to be fathers (Zach!)  For father's day here, we got invited to a big family get together.  They prepared a table full of man Tahiti, and man it was super good.  Nothing beats a good man Tahiti.  I hope that you all had an awesome day yesterday, and a great week this past week.

Personally, I was pretty sick this past week, with a sinus infection or something like that.  It hasn't been too bad, luckily I've been able to keep working all week.  That has been a blessing, because we had a pretty busy week last week, and saw a lot of investigators that we needed to see.  There was one day that was pretty bad, last Friday.  I had some sinus migraines, and lost my voice.  We were out contacting and I started getting lightheaded and I was worried about passing out.  But I haven't taken a sick day yet, and I wasn't about about to now with only a few weeks left.  Well, at 3:00 we had our interviews with President and Sister Fox and Sister Fox told me I was being stupid and should take a nap after the interview.  So yeah turns out I didn't push through it after all.  I was out like a baby for a couple of hours.  

We had a pretty fun day activity last Monday with the district.  Elder Claflin and I wanted to make a couple of local ties for some souvenirs and the rest of the district was down as well.  They don't actually sell Tahitian ties, you have to buy the fabric and sew them yourselves.  The week before I spent a couple hours with Tomasini, ,and he taught me how to sew them.  Thank goodness I took sewing way back in 8th grade.  And then for p-day last week, we borrowed a couple of machines from some members and we all 8 went to a  member's house to sew our ties.  We got an assembly line going, and started cranking out ties in record time.   Usually it takes 30-45 minutes to make a tie.  In 3 hours we whipped out 34.  Good times with the crew.  If anyone needs any sewing help when I get back, I'm your man.   ;)

On Wednesday one of my investigators that I taught at Mahaiatea named Jean-Yves got baptized!!  He called me a few days before to ask I could be there.  The assistants said that it was cool with them, and that I could spend some time to say goodbye to everyone over there while I was at it, so that I could get that out of the way (because of the culture and the small size of the the island, missionaries always go say goodbye to everyone before they leave).  So on  Wednesday I headed on over to Mahaiatea, on the opposite side of the island.  The baptism itself was kind of disappointing, it was poorly announced so no one in the ward was there, they forgot to fill up the font, and it started two hours late.  The missionaries and the dip didn't do their job.  But once the actual device got started, it was great, just like every other one.  A baptism is a baptism, and I am so happy to finally see my friend get baptized!

Like I said, I said goodbye to everyone while I was over there.  Man that was way harder than I thought it was going to be.  I'm not really a sentimental person at all, but it was pretty sad.  Just driving through the area, through the streets, after a year or so was really touching, so many memories flooded my mind.  All my missionary friends that are gone, and all of my friends, investigators and converts that I may or may not every see again.  I really love these people, and I love serving here.  I am going to miss everyone so much man...but it was awesome to see them.

I love you all!

Elder McQuiston













No comments:

Post a Comment